You want more calories burned in a day...eat and play!
When your losing weight you want to increase the number of calories burned in a day so that your body uses up all the energy you put into it.
The best way to lose weight is to both change what you're eating, and increase the amount of energy your body uses.
To boost the number of calories burned in a day, you must eat!
If you don't burn all the energy you put into your body the left over is converted into fat, and stored for later use.
Stored fat, energy stores, are hard to shift. Your body naturally draws it's first lot of energy from those foods that you eat, only after it's sucked all of the energy out of what you put in, and burnt it off, will it dip into the stores.
So, that means to get to those fat stores you have to up the energy you use, and take less energy in. This would make you think that as long as you eat very little, your body will just draw from the stores. Wrong! If you don't feed the body enough each day, it will work slower, and actually hamper your efforts to increase the calories burned in a day.
Make sure you feed yourself enough that your body feels quite comfortable using up it's emergency stock of energy, up the amount of energy you use so that the body starts opening up the vaults (fat cells) and clearing them out.
Strategies for increasing the number of calories burned in a day.
* Make sure you eat in the morning!!! - During sleep your body slows down. To get your body using energy you have to give it something to work on. It will stay sluggish and inefficient if you don't feed it something that wakes it up! Give it what it needs. Get it processing the food you put in, so it starts to burn more energy.
* You know when you get that feeling in the afternoon where you feel a bit tired, a little slow...and you think 'I need to feed my body?' Well, if you've eaten properly in the morning, and you've had a couple of snacks, and eaten a good lunch, that lethargy feeling is a need to move.
My body is always a little slow in the afternoon, so's my brain. But just a five minute walk, looking at my garden, or down to the end of the street and back gets me functioning again. Our bodies need to move...movement is the key. Lethargy is a sign our bodies are slowing down. That's great before sleep, but if your day isn't over...food won't wake you up...movement will.
Your body has natural rhythms, work with them, lethargy doesn't always mean 'food' (as long as you're not restricting your foods...otherwise your body is shutting down because it's in starvation mode). Move first, then check if you're hungry, and if you are, or even a little peckish, then have a drink of water (it's easy to confuse thirst with hunger), then have something to eat.
* Play! Yep, play. Find five minutes, and play. If you like gardening, spend five minutes weeding or digging. Think about the things you enjoyed doing as a kid. Bounce a ball, take your bike for a speed spin (borrow your child's if you have to), remember that feeling of going really, really fast and then coasting? Play. Good old fashioned play and fun increases the number of calories burned in a day and makes you feel good!
Losing weight is about feeling better about yourself, it's about getting more out of life, and you don't need to wait until you've lost the weight to start...start now...use those things that give you pleasure to get you moving more. When was the last time you kicked a ball around the backyard.
I'd forgotten how much fun it is just to boot the ball as hard as I could, until I was out with my son the other day and he asked me to join in, which I did reluctantly, then I remembered I used to do that a lot as a kid. So, yesterday, while all the kids were at school (and all the neighbours at work) I got out his ball, and booted it around the yard playing imaginary soccer. I was puffing, panting, and smiling.
* Forget seeing exercise as some chore that you have to cram into your life. Start seeing it for what it is, movement and play. If you can fit in 30 minutes of dedicated exercise, a class, or a workout, and you enjoy it, great! But you don't need to. Every little bit counts...it all counts, and why not enjoy it? When you do something you enjoy, time passes without you even noticing. Ten minutes of doing something you like passes in the blink of an eye. Ten minutes of something that has you watching the clock is ten minutes too long!
* Variety. If you're getting bored with what you're doing, do something else. Experiment. Try different things, there are enough things in our lives that we have to do...Find something you like, and when it becomes a chore, and you're having trouble getting there, find something else...enjoy life...have some fun...feel better...you can do this and lose weight.
The best way to lose weight and increase the number of calories burned in a day is to move more, play, and feed your body!
Leave the Calories Burned In A Day page and go back to the The Best Way to Lose Weight
Leave the Calories Burned In A Day page and go back to the Life and Losing Weight Home Page